Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Mountain Tubing








First of all when we signed up to do this, it was a warm sunny morning before we went to our Helicopter ride. As you know from the helicopter ride the clouds came in and started to ruin our Kauai parade, just like Maui. Needless to say we woke up to clouds and rain on Friday and knew we were committed to sitting in cold mountain water, great. After being outfitted with helmets, headlamps, and gloves we got to ride in a cool Swiss mountain vehicle that had 6 wheel drive up to the drop in area. Once there we got to walk into the cold mountain stream and put our butt in the tube and were given the instructions to keep your ankles crossed, arms and elbows in and away we went. The canals and such were made in 1860-1874 to fuel the sugar plantations with the needed water for growing. The water looked like the chocolate river from Willy Wonka but taking water in the face on a "rapid" proved it to taste not good. There were 5 tunnels we got to float through the longest being 3/4 of a mile long. Tunnel 5 has some kind of indigenous endangered bat living in it so we rode through with no lights. I felt like I was going down a side tunnel and away from the group and had a moment of serious panic where I almost freaked myself out enough to fall out of my tube. Lucky for us a kid was more scared than I was and he kept turning his light on which showed me that I was still with the rest of the group. Mike relays that the kids face was priceless, so scared, and he would get yelled at to turn out his light, and a few moments later it would be back on. I was to busy calming myself down to see this. So to recap water cold, but a very cool ECO tour and worth your time and money. If you are going to go to Kauai this is something you might want to make a reservation for before you go as apparently it is booked up months in advance. I bet it is awesome when it is 80 and sunny, but even 70 and raining was fun. And now that you know, when you go into tunnel 5 just put your hand on another persons tube so you do not feel so alone.

No comments: